Hey how are you doing today? Feeling? Yesterday, I wasn’t that great. Things felt like they were slipping, hours drifting into phone calls and the list just felt insurmountable. But this morning, my chest is tighter, and I am taking the extra effort in breathing and just saying…. well, I don’t feel good again. Yesterday’s frustration doesn’t hold a candle to today’s devastation.
Last night, eight people were killed in what is known to be a racist domestic terrorist attack. This news is heartbreaking. When considering the deep-seaded white supremacy in this country and the damage unwoven by our former President, news like this unfortunately, no longer comes as a surprise. While hopeful for continuous unlearning, acts like these only underline how it is always important to never be comfortable in our own learning. The work of a doers, thinkers, and change makers isn’t a one-time event.
I keep on thinking about how I want to know them. I want to know their families, I don’t want to know a thing about him. If you’re like me and wanting to stand in solidarity with our AAPI community, here are a few sources I gathered from friends:
- Check In on your friends. Truly. Give them room to express themselves.
- Read up on America’s history. And the history we currently make.
- Uplift these women, who were most likely poor, migrates, and sex workers. Which means their lives and ultimately their deaths, were not under the protection of police.
- With that in mind, support Red Canary Song, a grassroots collective of Asian and Migrant Sex Workers
- Donate To Stop AAPI Hate
- Sign up for a free training in stopping anti-Asian American and xenophobic harrasment
Anything else you’d like to add? I hope you’re hanging in there.
Yes, everyone please check on your people and give yourself some grace. This has not been an easy time-a year now-by any means. ❤️