Is Your Home Transitioning With The Seasons?

How are you in your home lately?

Anything strange or even cool about it all? Lately, I’ve been fixated on all the little things that are overdue for fixing. It’s common in old city apartments for things to sort of break apart, but lately, it feels like my apartment needs a good season of transitional TLC. I am creating a list for a handyman or woman, and checking it twice. I’m also looking at what I could do too, which is exciting but doesn’t feel large enough to make a huge impact. So far, I’ve collected paint samples and slightly re-arranged the kids room. I even added a plant to my room, which feels entirely different.

While in my own little world, I’d love to hear about what’s happening in yours?

Photo of a NYC apartment from “At Home with Books,” 1996 via Kim Coleman

11 thoughts on “Is Your Home Transitioning With The Seasons?

• Reply Brandi Shipp September 29, 2020 at 4:32 pm

I’m doing the same. Perhaps it is because as the cooler weather sets in, I know that there will be fewer hours spent in the park or on the stoop…

I’m currently in a never-ending loop of rearranging furniture in my living / dining room, trying to find the right fit for these pieces. It feels like gearing up for hibernation…

• Reply latonya September 29, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Hey Brandi!

Exactly! Feeling much of the same. Thank you!

• Reply Anne September 29, 2020 at 5:14 pm

I moved all my plants back inside on Saturday. Which entailed moving rooms and furniture around. I cried, because it’s such a bittersweet thing. I love autumn so much, but sitting outside with my plants has been so healing for my soul.

• Reply latonya September 29, 2020 at 6:50 pm

ughhh yesssss. I know what you mean. That’s a complete shift. Still time to savor warm air a bit longer.

• Reply Grace September 29, 2020 at 6:36 pm

I recently moved into my grandfather’s house while he lives with my aunt during the pandemic. It’s been such a pleasure to hang my pictures next to his and see my books nestled in with his old favorites! Even though I can’t be with my family right now, settling in to his house has made me feel a lot closer to them.

(And also the house is so old and has been empty for months now, so there’s a to-fix-and-clean list a mile long! Gifts and challenges in equal measure.)

• Reply Jenna September 29, 2020 at 6:44 pm

In the spring, our threadbare linen duvet cover developed a few holes. Rather than patch them, I decided to wait patiently for the right new duvet to come along (and I’m using the good parts of the old linen as patches for other clothing). A lighter blanket has been on the bed all summer. I eventually found & purchased a new duvet cover and it’s been patiently waiting in the closet for the weather to be cool enough for the comforter. Also looking forward to lighting a candle while I work from home and wearing slippers again.

• Reply Sarah September 29, 2020 at 7:05 pm

After six long months of working from home at the dining room table, I finally created a true office space for myself. It’s on an enclosed porch, but I bought a sweet little space heater and affixed my grandmother’s task lamp to the desk. And twinkly white lights turn on as the sun goes down. Still, I’ll definitely need the cozy socks and slippers and sweaters you mentioned a post or two ago!

• Reply latonya September 30, 2020 at 6:00 pm

That sounds so amazing! And the cozy bits are the topping on the cake! Hope you get them soon and enjoy the space in between it all and then too.

xo

• Reply Sarah September 30, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Thank you, LaTonya! Adore your work and visiting your blog is a treat I savor.

• Reply Elaine September 29, 2020 at 8:59 pm

Hi LaTonya! Been following along for a while but this is my first comment. 🙂 I have also gotten the fix-it bug, and have been hand-altering clothes for a better fit, rearranging the beloved knick knacks in my life. I also shifted every plant in the house to a new room, and the change is refreshing. I didn’t know how much a new perspective was needed to reignite the flame I had when I adopted all these plant babes into my home.

• Reply latonya September 30, 2020 at 5:54 pm

Hi Elaine!!

Thank you for commenting and reading! I appreciate it.

I moved the plants around last week and it was odd how much of a difference it made! So happy it reignited something within/ for you too!

xo