The 3 Books I’ve Been Picking Up Again

Like a Bible read in the early morning or late in the evening, I’ve returned to old books and words that give me comfort. These books, in their beauty and stories, have been cornerstones to my soul and heart. While they aren’t religious books, what I’ve read in a poem by Gwendolyn Brooks, an essay by Toni Morrison, and even in the recipes by Edna Lewis exist in their own way with their own power.

And much like The Bible, I’ve been flipping through, folding sticky-notes, and underlining sentences and recipes that shine through. While I haven’t been able to make a full meal from Ms. Lewis’ spectacular book, or even truly ruminate on Toni’s words, I’ve found that maybe connecting culturally in such a way is powerful.

Instead of being alone with my feelings and words at night, there are people who’s experiences were much different than mine. I would love to hear, is there anything on your bookshelf that’s offering you some comfort these days?

The Source Of Self Regard:

The Near-Johannesburg Boy (and other poems)

In Pursuit Of Flavor

8 thoughts on “The 3 Books I’ve Been Picking Up Again

• Reply Adrianne W. June 11, 2020 at 11:07 pm

Mmm.. I love this. I’m re-reading Layla Saad’s ‘Me and White Supremacy’ and it has been helping me better understand my own healing, my relationships with white women , and how they have shown up for me and not shown up for me in my life. There’s nothing quite as intense as clarity.

• Reply latonya June 12, 2020 at 7:44 am

A book that provides clarity in moments of foggy, especially with relationships to ourselves and others is immeasurable. Love Layla and love that her book provides that for you.

• Reply Nadiyah Brown June 12, 2020 at 6:20 am

I love all the this as I have been hugging on to my old faithfuls and reading them like scripture as well. Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde
    Assata by Assata Shakur
    All About Love by bell hooks

Just to name a few, these reads really save my soul

• Reply latonya June 12, 2020 at 7:23 am

Love love your list! I have picked up my All About Love as well. I’m thankful we have their work and their words this season.

xo

• Reply S.B. June 12, 2020 at 1:08 pm

I love your list, and I also turn to Miss Lewis again and again. (P.S. Thank you for supporting indie bookstores by linking to Bookshop.org!)

• Reply katherine June 12, 2020 at 6:44 pm

I always turn to the poets when in need of comfort. These past weeks it’s been Audre Lorde, Sonia Sanchez and Claudia Rankine.

I’ve also been craving the playwrights. It’s so soothing to read dialogue, to hear and feel the dance that happens when people speak to each other.

Love this post so much.

• Reply Grace June 12, 2020 at 7:17 pm

I’ve been re-reading fantasy as a way to calm my mind before bed, currently on The Inheritance Trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. It’s so nice to read something exciting, but where I already know the ending!

• Reply Melissa LuVisi June 16, 2020 at 1:33 pm

The source of Self Regard. I can’t wait to read it.