How are you doing today? To be honest, I’ve been thinking a lot about love lately. Especially on this incredibly rainy day. Love for yourself, for others and for all that matters and all that sometimes feels like it shouldn’t. I’ve been thinking about all the different shapes it takes on, and our immense privilege to wake up and love every single day.
Here are a few things to do (in the love realm) if you’d like a bit of inspiration today:
- What to read: All About Love, because I read it once and I do believe it is just one of those books that changed my own relationship to love, heartbreak, growth, and ultimately, healing and comminuty. It is classic and prolific Bell Hooks that you will devour in one evening.
2. What to listen to: Jaime by Brittany Howard. Her first solo album is a lovely mix of soul, comfort, and incredible sensual softeness in the same. Brittany calls it her most personal and honest self in her music to date. (via The Daily Good)
3. What to wear: A ReNew Fleece from Everlane. Perfect tucked in with high-wasited vintage jeans. Or left out with wide-legged jeans. Or even better, worn with yoga pants on your couch reading and cuddling.
4. What to drink: A Hot Toddy in beautiful cups. I like mine right around this season, after 9 when kids are down. A bottle of whiskey and lemon and high hopes of shaking whatever bugs that lurk in my body. Love is care etc..
5. What to consider: “considering a more full, nuanced, and personalized reading of love. In the Grecian vocabulary there is a kind of classification for “different states of the heart. Read: ‘eros, ‘philia’, and ‘agape, roughly translating to phases of intensity and desire, friendship, and charitable generosity in love…While only one example of what can hardly be defined outside of poetry, there is value in making a more precise sense of feeling.” (via ceremony.us)
6. What to do: Help the homeless crisis as it cools. Share a bit of love by donating to Win or volunteer this fall and winter. Win provides safe housing and critical services to help homeless women and their children rebuild their lives and break the cycle of homelessness
Anything I missed? Please share your own modern love list and thoughts.