While I do my best to prepare, I am no back-to-school expert, if you couldn’t tell by the title of this post. I sometimes rely on last-minute shipping and friends, and then I gather the rest of the things a good week or so into the school year. We are late bloomers here in New York, not getting into the full swing of school until after Labor Day. While I am savoring the last few days with my crew, I am equally giddy for a work schedule that is more predictable this school year. Here’s a list of things I often forget to buy and do. And maybe, this serves as a reminder for you as well. Happy back-to-school!
1. A long-sleeved shirt to last. Because early mornings get cool here quick, and I am sure arms are much longer than last year.
2. Chiffon scrunchies for wild curls that often need to be pulled back. Also this, because I heard September is the worst (though we’ve never had it)! Better to be prepared.
3. Because River long-legs, things just don’t quite fit. And tights to cover up those legs when the weather cools practically overnight.
4. This summer we lost three water bottles. A record. Hoping these will stick around.
5. The first few weeks can be stressful for little guys. Back-up required.
6. A reminder that he may reject new fall shoes, and stick to his summer ones with cool socks. At least he’s got style.
7, A mini back-pack, though most schools require a big one…
8. Snack packs instead of plastic containers for lunch, because playing the matching game at 6:30 in the morning isn’t ideal.
9. Practical sneakers for post school playground running with friends. Pretty clogs because this is the year I will not forget. It also feels like the year she won’t let me live it down if I do.
10. A reusable bag to place in their backpacks for the endless amount of parent papers that get hidden at the bottom.
11. A book to read to learn about 7 kids around the world doing something similar to them. And one to read to feel a bit more confident in their unique names, on the eve of the first day of school.
P.S Other back-to-school thoughts right here.
(some links in this post are affiliate links )
I’m a white, french-speaking woman from a small town near Brussels in Belgium. I feel like our lifes are soo different, yet I love what you do and who you are (at least what you share. Your blog is a reference for me. Your words speak to my mind and my heart. I discover Shishi Rose thanks to you. I love your activism, your style and your writing. Thank you for the content you provide on Instagram and here.
Wish you the best.
Thank you so much for reading and following along, it really means a lot. And I am happy that my words resonate with you!
*orders back up water bottles!
I just printed this out-and taking to next target run. 1st year of school for my oldest (eck!) and I thought I had everything planned out and bought but realized NOPE, haha thankful for this!
I got your back! Seriously! We always think we are prepared, and then like… wait!
Happy this helped
I love Alma and How She Got Her Name! It’s the sweetest. I bought it because my daughter’s name is actually Alma and it’s in constant rotation in our house.