One of my funny little secrets is that I require a lot of solo time. I love parties, lunch-dates, family dinners, and am generally, really extroverted. I’ll start a conversation with anyone, and often find the challenge in navigating a party when you know no-one kind of entertaining. But I also need and value serious stretches of time alone. Unstimulated by another person. It’s something those close to me know, and I think it has something to do with being extroverted, having children, and have my work often be a “social” thing. The hours, and days of solitary pause to go back into the world and feel centered within it and those I love, can only really happen if I spend time with myself.
Here are five things I love to do alone in the city..
1. Visit the Brooklyn Museum at 11 AM in the middle of the week.
2. Eat a bagel and drink a large coffee on my favorite park bench at 9:30 AM on a Saturday.
3. Walk from SOHO, through the Lower East Side, and end in the East Village just because.
4. Have dinner for one at the bar of a beloved local restaurant.
5. Watch a crappy reality show on my couch at 10:30 PM
Besides reading a book, is there anything else I should add to my list? What do you do alone?
(Photograph by Barbara Klemm, Louvre Paris, 1987)