What Songs Make You Cry?

Okay, this may be a terrible Friday night game, but maybe it will feel really good come Saturday morning. I really want to know. Here’s why…

The other day, I posted an instagram story of the kids and I listening to the Bodyguard soundtrack. It’s one of my favorite soundtracks, but I can only listen to it when I am really okay with crying. So as I spun around with a glass of rosé and the kids jumped on the couch, shaking their butts, I would turn a corner and wipe a tear or two.

My friend Alexa says that Leonard Cohen’s “Halleluja” gets her in tears within minutes. And I agree. That one hurts good in the saddest kind of way.

So, what songs make you cry?

Have a great weekend!

0 thoughts on “What Songs Make You Cry?

• Reply Johnna LaFaith August 25, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Oh my gosh… let me preface this by saying I'm a cryer. Sometimes the sheer beauty of a melody sends me into a sobbing oblivion, but here are some songs that get me. Every. Time…

"Engine Driver" by The Decemberists (I usually barely hold it together till he sings "I am a writer, writer of fiction" and that whole thing is my end. Agh. So wonderful."
    "It's Over (Isn't It)" from Steven Universe. (Rebecca Sugar writes the most heart wrenching, simple songs. That show kills me, but the kids love it so I find myself singing the songs back and crying!)
    "Fancy" by Reba (it pumps me up too but it hits me right in the chest)

There are more but I had to share these. xx

• Reply Riley August 25, 2017 at 10:21 pm

One that never fails to get me WEEPING is "Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam.

• Reply Monique August 26, 2017 at 2:08 am

This woman's work by Maxwell and Hang me oh hang me by Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis Soundtrack)

• Reply joyful girl August 26, 2017 at 7:49 am

Love this question!! For me:
    Cosmic Love, Florence and the Machine
    Welcome Home, Radical Face
    Marrow, Ani Difranco
    Beautiful Boy, Lennon

• Reply joyful girl August 26, 2017 at 7:53 am

Gah! One more…
    School Night, Ani Difranco

• Reply Tshego August 26, 2017 at 2:18 pm

The other night I felt so so sad and extremely anxious. I really felt like a good hearty cry would help me feel better. I played a lot of songs but I finally cracked at One Sweet Day – Mariah Carey

• Reply Mads August 26, 2017 at 7:04 pm

When We Were Young by Adele
    Poison and Wine by the Civil Wars
    Franklin by Paramore
    Silver Springs by Fleetwood Mac

• Reply Carly August 26, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Literally everything makes me cry, but I've always sung "Sea of Love" – the Cat Power rendition – to my son and once when he was sleepy and five, he said, "This song is so pretty, it makes me cry," and I melted into a puddle right there. Let the record show that I am NOT a singer, so it was really extra sweet. ��

• Reply Jescye August 26, 2017 at 10:11 pm

The pain is very fresh. Stand By Me by Aretha Franklin, From Where You Are by Lifehouse

• Reply simone tyson August 27, 2017 at 2:29 am

If I'm in a sappy heartbreak mood, "Kissing You" by Des'ree from the Romeo & Juliet soundtrack. Em, as soon as that piano comes in. And then these words… "Pride can stand a thousand trials. The strong will never fall. But watching stars without you, my soul cried."

But if I'm in a "thankful for making it this far, loving, and still going with great heart" mood (lol), then definitely Sade's "It's Only Love That Gets You Through." Definitely :')

• Reply choogie August 27, 2017 at 5:17 am

Bon Ivers version of I Cant Make You Love Me. Gah.

• Reply choogie August 27, 2017 at 5:23 am

Also… the music video for Leon Bridges- river is pretty gut wrenching if you really wanna sob. Lol.

• Reply jonas&alyssa. August 27, 2017 at 1:27 pm

so many songs by Devotchka!

• Reply Anna's Mommy August 27, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Fade into You – Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen
    I already loved this hauntingly beautiful song, but after my sister's husband recently passed away from cancer at a much too early age it took on new meaning.

• Reply Renae August 27, 2017 at 6:00 pm

I've been listening to Jesus is Love by the Commodores a lot lately. I'm moved to tears everytime.

• Reply Jess August 28, 2017 at 4:35 am

A Father's First Spring by the Avett Brothers (if you've had a child, there is no avoiding tears)
    A Change is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke
    Fire and Rain by James Taylor
    And this song doesn't normally do it – but British artists did a cover of Bridge Over Troubled Water for the victims of Grenfell and the intro by Stormzy had me crying.

• Reply j. August 29, 2017 at 12:09 am

Hearse by Ani DiFranco.
    Godspeed by Dixie Chicks. It played on a Google Play station of lullabies when my little guy was teeny-tiny and it just gives me all of the feels of loving my sweet baby.

• Reply Danette August 29, 2017 at 12:53 pm

A Change is Gonna Come – Sam Cooke
    Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel
    A Song for You – Donny Hathaway

• Reply Anonymous August 30, 2017 at 1:19 pm

I Was Here & Love Drought by Beyonce. They hit me where it hurts.
    And then I fix the sadness with Nina Simone's I Think It's Gonna Rain Today and Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles. -Anna

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 3:59 am

Anna, every version of I think It's Gonna Rain Today leaves me in pieces. Such a good one!

Thank you for sharing!

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:00 am

Thank you so much, Danette. Love your suggestions.

LaTonya

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:01 am

J, I feel like anything we associate when our babies are so tiny always really gets us. Thank you for sharing, I hope you get a good good good kind of cry soon.

x
    L

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:01 am

Jess,

Thank you!!

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:02 am

Renae, I love the commodores. I'll have to listen. Thank you so much.

x
    L

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:02 am

Anna, I am so so sorry for your loss. I will have a listen, I am sure I will be a mess. Sending so much love, and thank you for adding to the comments.

x
    L

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:03 am

Got it!

x

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:03 am

haha! I love your opening. I am a cryer too, so this was welcomed! Thank you so much, love.

xo
    L

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:04 am

Riley, haven't heard that in so long, will have to listen soon.

Thank you so much for participating!

L

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:05 am

Hey Monique,

I totally forgot about Maxwell, and haven't been able to stop listening now that you suggested that song! Such a beautiful one.

Lots of love,
    L

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:05 am

Beautiful boy always has me balling. like non stop. Thank you so much for playing along. I love all the suggestions.

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:06 am

Isn't that so crazy when you just need to be cracked open and released from whatever it is. I find crying (finally) is so therapeutic. I am happy Mariah worked! Thank you for sharing.

x

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:07 am

Thank you so much for sharing Mads. Will have to listen to Franklin, thought I did, but don't think so!
    L

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:08 am

Carly, you made me laugh, thank you! And the sweetest sweetest compliment ever! What a sweet boy!

xo

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:08 am

Thank you so much for your suggestion, Jescye!

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:08 am

OMG Sade! SADEEE such a love of my life. Thank you so much for leaving a comment, Simone.

x

• Reply LaTonya Yvette August 31, 2017 at 4:09 am

GAHHHHHH is right, Choogie! Yes! Thank you for the reminder.

x

• Reply karen September 4, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Oh definitely Landslide by Fleetwood Mac!

• Reply Jody Winter September 5, 2017 at 7:49 am

'One Day' by New Zealand band, Opshop. The melody is lovely and the lyrics very truthful. The line 'One day you'll understand how much you have me' is the bit I get all choked up on. It's a message to my partner of 18 years, Paul. Because I still don't think he knows just how much of me he has, and he has all of me.